Uncategorized

What to Do If Your Pet Eats a Toxic Plant

If you believe that your pet may have nibbled on a poisonous holiday plant (or if your pet is acting sick and you don’t know why), seek immediate veterinarian attention. Take photos of the plant in question or bring a sample with you to the vet, Dr. Osborne says.

“If you think your pet ingested a toxic plant, don’t wait!” says Dr. Gary Weitzman, DVM, president and CEO of the San Diego Humane Society. “Plan on visiting your veterinarian or an emergency clinic right away. Call first because your vet might ask you to induce vomiting in your pet.”

Inducing vomiting should only be done for dogs and only under direction from your veterinarian or a veterinarian at an animal poison control center, Dr. Weitzman adds. Inducing vomiting is not a good idea in some instances, so always seek veterinary guidance before attempting to do this.

If your pet ingests a toxic plant after-hours when your veterinary clinic is closed or if you’re very far from an emergency veterinary hospital, you can call an animal poison control center.

Two animal poison hotlines are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week:

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: 888-426-4435 (consultation fee applies)